After a slightly hairy bus ride from Barrow along the winding country roads, the group landed in the quiet village of Broughton. Guided by Rebecca (Signal Films Project Manager), Geoff (local historian) and Caroline (leading photography tutor) and armed with a variety of DSLR cameras, we set off down the footpath, which until 1958, housed part of the Coniston to Furness railway line.
Standing at the junction of Market Street and the footpath it was difficult to imagine heavy freight trains whistling through here during the 1800’s.
Heading away from the village, the path ascended gradually to the East and in parts felt completely enclosed by the steep valley walls. Geoff pointed out a number of key remnants of the railway along the way and Caroline showed the group how best to capture them in the ever changing light conditions.
At the end of the footpath the bus collected the group and headed to Coniston, with Geoff pointing out the former route of the railway line (which in part ran parallel to the road) and the old Coniston station site. Once at Coniston Water, there were further opportunities for photographs before having a well earned rest at the Bluebird Cafe.
Sat beside the water, filling up on tea and cakes, memories were shared of previous visits to the lake and the many myths and legends associated with it. Thoughts turned back to the vintage posters and postcards introduced by Rebecca at the start of the journey showing the railway in its tourist heydays of the early 1900’s.
After the break, the group visited the Gondola which has been carrying passengers across the lake since the mid 1800’s. Unfortunately, the yacht was not running at the time, but it was easy to imagine why it has remained so popular as we stood admiring it in the shadows of Coniston Old Man.